Judge criticizes Amber Heard’s request for a mistrial after jury fraud claim
The judge dismissed Amber Heard’s request for a mistrial in the defamation case with Johnny Depp.
Here is everything you need to know.
Amber Heard’s fraud allegation was dismissed by the judge
According to the latest reports, Judge Penney S. Azcarate decided that there was no evidence to support Amber Heard’s claim of fraud.
Last week, Heard’s legal team argued that one of the jurors in the defamation trial was not the one summoned for jury duty.
Azcarate, who presided over the gruesome six-week libel trial in Fairfax County, wrote: “The jury was investigated, sat for the full jury, deliberated, and reached a verdict.”
He added: ‘The only evidence before this Court is that this juror and all jurors complied with their oaths, the Court’s instructions and orders. This Court is bound by the competent decision of the jury.’
Azcarate closed Heard’s claim by saying: ‘Voir dire was conducted in a fair and impartial manner, with the Tribunal and both parties examining prospective jurors.’ There is no evidence of fraud or misconduct.’
In late June, Amber Heard’s legal team requested a new investigation insisting that “Juror Number 15 was not, in fact, the same person who was listed on the jury panel.”
They mentioned that a 77 year old was supposed to be on the jury, however a 52 year old with the same last name and address showed up and sat down.
Lawyers for the Aquaman actress further stated that it is “deeply troubling that a person who has not been summoned for jury duty would nevertheless report for jury duty and serve on a jury.”
They added that Heard was not given adequate “due process” and therefore requested a mistrial “and a new trial was ordered.”
Johnny Depp’s Brown Rudnick legal team responded Monday, insisting the original ruling stood and repeated its evidence.
They described the 36-year-old actress’s stance as ‘baseless’ and ‘frivolous’.
Depp’s lawyer said Heard had “enough time” to raise the question of the wrong jury before the trial. However, she addressed him after the verdict.
They wrote, ‘Mrs. Heard chose not to raise this alleged ‘discrepancy’ with the Court during the voir dire process or at any time during the six-week trial, and therefore she waived it.’
Heard’s attorney, Elaine Bredehoft, also argued that the $10 million awarded to the 59-year-old actor was “excessive.” She also said that Heard is not in a position to pay the amount of damages.